Public safety officers come under attack all too frequently in the United States, simply for doing our jobs.
The Portland Police Association is a founding member of the United Coalition of Public Safety (UCOPS), a national coalition of law enforcement unions. UCOPS has launched a digital ad campaign to support U.S. Senate Bill 1480, the “Back the Blue Act,” which will allow for federal prosecution of those that target law enforcement officers for assault. We need your active engagement to help advocate for the passage of S.1480.
Please take a minute to send a targeted, pre-written email to your Legislators by clicking the link below. Now is the time for law enforcement to stand up and demand that we get the protections we need to do the dangerous work our members do every day!
Thank you for your commitment to the work you do in serving our community with dedication, compassion, and professionalism every single day.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- EMAIL YOUR LEGISLATORS: >>> Go to ucops.org or click the image below to send the pre-written email encouraging your Congressional Representative and United States Senators to support S. 1480.
- SHARE THE FACEBOOK POST >>> UCOPS Back the Blue Facebook Post
- RETWEET >>> UCOPS Back the Blue on Twitter
- SPREAD THE WORD: Share this email with your friends and family.
- SHARE: Download the One Pager PDF >>> UCOPS Supports Back the Blue Act AND/OR Download the images that can be saved and shared via text >>> Back the Blue One Pager Front & Back.
WHY BACK THE BLUE
- Attacks on law enforcement are becoming too common and are a threat to officer safety and community safety.
- This federal bill helps ensure that those who risk their lives to protect others have some protection as well.
- Suspects are more emboldened to attack officers. We must do something to deter these attacks.
- Too often, criminals are taking the calculated risk of taking a shot at a police officer either to get away with a crime, avoid arrest, or simply because they hate cops. Those that choose that course of action must be held accountable.
- Just this month, a California Highway Patrol Officer was shot and killed as he made a traffic stops and 6 officers shot in Philadelphia for simply trying to serve a warrant. In Phoenix, officers were run over, in New York officers have been assassinated simply because they are cops.
- These attacks are really an attempt to break down the social structure that keeps our communities safe.
- Senate Bill 1480 will allow for federal prosecution of these criminals if the state or local jurisdiction fails to prosecute or if the sentence is not commensurate with the crime upon conviction.
WHO IS COVERED WITH THE BACK THE BLUE ACT
- Police officers
- United States Judges
- Pretrial service officers
Assault officer while performing duties or attacks on former LEO based on the duties performed; or because the person was perceived to be an LEO.
- Assault (bodily injury): not less than 2 years not more than 10 years
- Assault (substantial bodily injury): not less than 5 years not more than 20 years
- Assault (serious bodily injury): not less than 10 years
- Deadly/Dangerous weapon used: not less than 20 years
- Death: minimum of 30 years, up to the death penalty.
Download the Back the Blue Act Flyer to share >>> UCOPS Supports Back the Blue Act
The United Coalition of Public Safety works on behalf of law enforcement officers and the communities they serve nationwide to shape strong partnerships and break down communication barriers; building trust through active engagement, honest dialogue, education, and outreach.